[Geany] Questions about VC Diff plugin

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue May 13 16:01:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008 17:17:04 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
<andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:50:26 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
> > <andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andreas,
>
> Hello Enrico,
> >
> >> 1) Question: Is it possible (it doesn't to be so at the moment, so
> >> maybe planned) to configure an external diff viewer to start
> >> instead of the version control diff?
> >
> > Not really. And probably there is not much need to, see below.
>
> I thought so...
> >

> [snip]
> > I just tried it on Windows 2000 with cvsnt. I checked out a project,
> > modified a file and used the "From current file" menu item.
> > It works fine except when the file's encoding is e.g. UTF-32. But
> > this is IMO more a problem of CVS as it told on the command line
> > that "binary files differ". I.e. the cvs tool treated the changed
> > file as a binary file.
>
> I have a UTF-8 file and CVSNT treats it as ASCII, so there should be
> no problem...

Hmm. The error message you posted is not as clear as it could be. It is
printed when the charset conversion of the received diff data fails. In
detail: we need to convert the data we receive from the diff command
into UTF-8 because the internal buffer always uses UTF-8. And we assume
the data we receive is in the same encoding as the file which was
passed to the diff command (i.e. the current file).
If the current file is already in UTF-8 and you get this message, then
there is really something wrong ;-(.

> > So, maybe your problem is related to the encoding of the files you
> > use? Did you try GeanyVC (http://users.cosmostv.by/yurand/geanyvc/)?
> > It has many more features and maybe it works better/different.
>
> I've just tried it and here it worke with the same file I tried
> before with the other plugin.
> Well, it worked somewhat: It showed the diff, but in the status line,
> I could read: "Something went really wrong."

Ok, this message is also not very useful (I'll change it tomorrow to
be more descriptive).
This message is caused by errors when spawning new processes (cvs.exe
in this case). IIRC there were some not really critical errors reported
by the Win32 API but the new process was spawned correctly anyway.

So, could you start Geany with the command line option "-d" and
test again with both plugins? Then an additional console window will
open and some more messages are shown, especially of the encoding
conversion code.

Thanks.