[Geany] Questions about VC Diff plugin

Yura Siamashka yurand2 at xxxxx
Tue May 13 18:09:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:01:49 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 17:17:04 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
> <andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
> > Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > > On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:50:26 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
> > > <andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > Hello Enrico,

> > > Not really. And probably there is not much need to, see below.
> >
> > I thought so...
> > >

> > [snip]
> > > I just tried it on Windows 2000 with cvsnt. I checked out a project,
> > > modified a file and used the "From current file" menu item.
> > > It works fine except when the file's encoding is e.g. UTF-32. But
> > > this is IMO more a problem of CVS as it told on the command line
> > > that "binary files differ". I.e. the cvs tool treated the changed
> > > file as a binary file.
> >
> > I have a UTF-8 file and CVSNT treats it as ASCII, so there should be
> > no problem...
>
> Hmm. The error message you posted is not as clear as it could be. It is
> printed when the charset conversion of the received diff data fails. In
> detail: we need to convert the data we receive from the diff command
> into UTF-8 because the internal buffer always uses UTF-8. And we assume
> the data we receive is in the same encoding as the file which was
> passed to the diff command (i.e. the current file).
> If the current file is already in UTF-8 and you get this message, then
> there is really something wrong ;-(.
>
> > > So, maybe your problem is related to the encoding of the files you
> > > use? Did you try GeanyVC (http://users.cosmostv.by/yurand/geanyvc/)?
> > > It has many more features and maybe it works better/different.
> >
> > I've just tried it and here it worke with the same file I tried
> > before with the other plugin.
> > Well, it worked somewhat: It showed the diff, but in the status line,
> > I could read: "Something went really wrong."
>
> Ok, this message is also not very useful (I'll change it tomorrow to
> be more descriptive).

I tested the error.

geanyvc write this nonecence to statusbar and print error description to stderr.

Current error description sound as: "The operation completed successfully".

It should be fixed somewhere in win32_spawn().

I added error description to statusbar message in geanyvc git.

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>