[Geany] Questions about VC Diff plugin

Andreas Tscharner andy at xxxxx
Tue May 13 15:17:04 UTC 2008

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:50:26 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
> <andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Andreas,

Hello Enrico,

>> 1) Question: Is it possible (it doesn't to be so at the moment, so
>> maybe planned) to configure an external diff viewer to start instead
>> of the version control diff?
>
> Not really. And probably there is not much need to, see below.

I thought so...

[snip]
> I just tried it on Windows 2000 with cvsnt. I checked out a project,
> modified a file and used the "From current file" menu item.
> It works fine except when the file's encoding is e.g. UTF-32. But this
> is IMO more a problem of CVS as it told on the command line that
> "binary files differ". I.e. the cvs tool treated the changed file as a
> binary file.

I have a UTF-8 file and CVSNT treats it as ASCII, so there should be no
problem...

> So, maybe your problem is related to the encoding of the files you use?
> Did you try GeanyVC (http://users.cosmostv.by/yurand/geanyvc/)?
> It has many more features and maybe it works better/different.

I've just tried it and here it worke with the same file I tried before
with the other plugin.
Well, it worked somewhat: It showed the diff, but in the status line, I
could read: "Something went really wrong."

Best regards
	Andreas
--

Andreas Tscharner   andy at vis.ethz.ch   ICQ-No. 14356454