[Geany] Questions about VC Diff plugin

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue May 13 13:52:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:50:26 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
<andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:

Hi Andreas,

> 1) Question: Is it possible (it doesn't to be so at the moment, so
> maybe planned) to configure an external diff viewer to start instead
> of the version control diff?

Not really. And probably there is not much need to, see below.

> 2) Problem: If I try the VC Diff plugin in Windows, I get a message
> that it cannot read the diff output (Kann die Ausgabe von "diff"
> nicht einlesen). It is version 0.14 for Windows, under Windows XP; we
> use CVSNT (http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki) for version controlling (it is
> more or less compatible to standard CVS. Any tipps to make it working?

I just tried it on Windows 2000 with cvsnt. I checked out a project,
modified a file and used the "From current file" menu item.
It works fine except when the file's encoding is e.g. UTF-32. But this
is IMO more a problem of CVS as it told on the command line that
"binary files differ". I.e. the cvs tool treated the changed file as a
binary file.

So, maybe your problem is related to the encoding of the files you use?
Did you try GeanyVC (http://users.cosmostv.by/yurand/geanyvc/)?
It has many more features and maybe it works better/different.