[Geany] Incremental Search Backward - the third

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Mar 28 15:55:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:47:24 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:18:34 -0400
> "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:22:45 +0100
> > >
> > >  I'm not sure a toggle button would be good. Perhaps having 2
> > > buttons, like this:
> > >  [ search text ]  [ B ] [ F ]
> > >  Where B is for search backwards and F forwards. This would be
> > > quicker to use than having to check the toggle button is set
> > > correctly before using the find button.
> >
> > 'B' and 'F' might not translate well between languages. What I think
> > looks good is either
> >
> >     [<] [search text] [>]
> >
> > or else
> >
> >     [^] [search text] [v]
>
> Oops, I should have said that I didn't mean a literal B and F ;-) I
> was thinking we could use the same forward and back icons as the Find
> dialog uses, but then there is a conflict with the Navigate buttons.
>
> Personally I don't like having the backwards button before the search
> text because the mouse has to move further when jumping between
> matches. I don't think it's necessary for the tab order to jump to the
> forward button first because you can just press enter in the search
> field anyway.
I agree, if another button then after the search field.

> > Also, I still think it would be good to visually indicate when
> > you're in search backward mode. It would just make using the
> > feature feel more intuitive, IMO. Maybe a hidden preference to
> > color the field background a light dull yellow when in backward
> > mode? (I suppose there could also be a corresponding hidden option
> > to set that color value if you really wanted to be choosey.)
>
> If we implement this it might as well be on by default IMO.
And another >if we implement this<: then we should probably also make
the "not found" colour (light red) configurable, maybe even in the pref
dialog, not with a hidden pref.

So, what to choose?
- The changing background colour of the text field doesn't take any
new space on the toolbar but still requires for each backward search
that the keybinding is pressed.
- The additional button for backwards search is probably most intuitive
and most easy to use, but eats some space.
- Combine both?
- Anything completely different?
- Wait other three or four months to discuss again about it? (j/k)

> > It would also be nice if the bubble help for the search field
> > indicated that there is a search backward available.
>
> Perhaps, but with the Backwards button this should be pretty clear.
The tooltip(alias bubble help, a Windows word, or?) shouldn't be the
problem at all, it's changed in less than a minute.