[Geany] Incremental Search Backward - the third

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Mar 26 17:47:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:18:34 -0400
"John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:22:45 +0100
> >
> >  I'm not sure a toggle button would be good. Perhaps having 2
> > buttons, like this:
> >  [ search text ]  [ B ] [ F ]
> >  Where B is for search backwards and F forwards. This would be
> > quicker to use than having to check the toggle button is set
> > correctly before using the find button.
>
> 'B' and 'F' might not translate well between languages. What I think
> looks good is either
>
>     [<] [search text] [>]
>
> or else
>
>     [^] [search text] [v]

Oops, I should have said that I didn't mean a literal B and F ;-) I
was thinking we could use the same forward and back icons as the Find
dialog uses, but then there is a conflict with the Navigate buttons.

Personally I don't like having the backwards button before the search
text because the mouse has to move further when jumping between
matches. I don't think it's necessary for the tab order to jump to the
forward button first because you can just press enter in the search
field anyway.

> Also, I still think it would be good to visually indicate when you're
> in search backward mode. It would just make using the feature feel
> more intuitive, IMO. Maybe a hidden preference to color the field
> background a light dull yellow when in backward mode? (I suppose there
> could also be a corresponding hidden option to set that color value if
> you really wanted to be choosey.)

If we implement this it might as well be on by default IMO.

> It would also be nice if the bubble help for the search field
> indicated that there is a search backward available.

Perhaps, but with the Backwards button this should be pretty clear.

Regards,
Nick