[Geany] calltips for python?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Mon Feb 18 22:52:39 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 1:55 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:22:01 +0000 (UTC), Tim Michelsen
> <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
>
> > Does Geany support or will it support calltips for the following languages:
>
> On the screenshot there are not calltips shown but usual symbol
> autocompletion. This is basically possible with Geany, you just need a
> file with known symbols(methods) of some common python classes.
> As you probably might have experienced, Geany already suggests you
> known methods in the current file while typing.
> Calltips are even more than this. Calltips mean the whole
> method/function signature, i.e. the return value and the arguments.

I'm not really sure how Geany handles calltips. The docs seem to blur
the line between tags and calltips.

NEdit has a calltips feature. The way it works is, each filetype may
have an associated calltip file (for Geany, this might be
~/.geany/calltips/<filetype>.tips or something). The calltip file is
just a simple text file that has a line or two associated with each
symbol you're providing a calltip for.

In the editor, things are set up so if you perform some action (like
hovering the mouse over a symbol, or putting the cursor somewhere in a
symbol and hitting a key combo) you get popup bubble help (if there's
a calltip defined for that symbol).

Having such a simple calltips system could be interesting. Users could
write their own calltips files for anything, for example, for commands
that they're always forgetting syntax for (for any filetype). Or they
could write scripts to parse their own custom formats creating tips
files. Seems like this sort feature would be pretty easy to implement
as well...

Hm... gets me thinking. Since it could apply to any symbol in general
(not just function calls), this sort of feature might be better called
"bubbletips" rather than "calltips" (which Geany already seems to
have, in some fashion) ...

Tim, is bubbletips the sort of feature you were looking for?

---John