[Geany] calltips for python?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Feb 19 09:44:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:52:39 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 1:55 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:22:01 +0000 (UTC), Tim Michelsen
> > <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Does Geany support or will it support calltips for the following languages:
> >
> > On the screenshot there are not calltips shown but usual symbol
> > autocompletion. This is basically possible with Geany, you just need a
> > file with known symbols(methods) of some common python classes.
> > As you probably might have experienced, Geany already suggests you
> > known methods in the current file while typing.
> > Calltips are even more than this. Calltips mean the whole
> > method/function signature, i.e. the return value and the arguments.
>
> I'm not really sure how Geany handles calltips. The docs seem to blur
> the line between tags and calltips.
Calltips are shown with Ctrl-Alt-Space inside a function's argument
list, between the "()". They show the whole function signature,
including the function's return value and the full argument list. This
is a _tip_ on how to _call_ the function.

Tags are just any kind of symbols in source code.These can be
functions, (global) variables, preprocessor macros, classes, methods,
members, interfaces, whatever (maybe other programing language
dependent things).

> Having such a simple calltips system could be interesting. Users could
> write their own calltips files for anything, for example, for commands
> that they're always forgetting syntax for (for any filetype). Or they
> could write scripts to parse their own custom formats creating tips
> files. Seems like this sort feature would be pretty easy to implement
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm in doubt whether this is really "pretty easy to implement". Maybe,
hopefully, I'm wrong.
But

About the general "bubbletips":
this can be indeed done without too much effort. there is also some
code which takes (in C files) macros and other globally defined stuff
and put it in a "user list" (Scintilla term) which looks like and works
like the usual symbol auto completion list.
However, this code wasn't touched for a very long time and as far as I
remember it was never finished by me ;-(.
But we could skip the current behaviour of reading some macros and
similar unuseful things and instead, read a user's global list(maybe
per filetype) of "tips". That is, you create a file with some text per
line and each line will be shown in a list inside Geany similar to the
usual symbol auto completion.
If the above is desired, patches are welcome ;-). I won't work on this
in the next months.
Even better would be to solve this by a plugin. This is not yet
possible due to missing keybinding support and because there is not yet
a "char added" signal. Both will come in the near future.