[Geany] Speaking of tab switching... sometimes they disappear

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Aug 15 13:32:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:37 +1000, Ross McKay <rosko at zeta.org.au>
wrote:

> G'day,
>
> SWMBO finds that her document tabs occasionally just up and disappear
> on her. No error message or anything, they just... vanish! They quite
> happily reappear on a "Toggle All Additional Widgets", but may
> disappear again at some point.
> [...]
> I strongly suspect some interaction with the NVIDIA driver, as we
> basically differ on hardware: both of us running Fedora 9 x86-64
> updated with the latest patches, but she's on a desktop Intel P4 with
> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, and I'm on a laptop AMD Athlon X2 TK-55 with
> NVIDIA GeForce 7000M; maybe the latest NVIDIA driver has a bug on 5*
> series cards?

I strongly don't believe this has anything todo with the graphics
drivers or even with the used chipsets.

> The only other thing I can think of is that she is of the habit of
> selecting a dozen or more files in the sidebar and opening them all at
> once, to make global changes in them. I always open one file at a
> time, and rarely have more files open than the file tabs can display.
>
> Anyway:
>
> a) have you seen this before? (when / how?)
>
> b) any tips on diagnosing it?

Erm, is it that certain documents get closed or is it just the notebook
tab bar which disappears?

Maybe she accidentally double clicks on a notebook, then Geany hides
'additional widgets' and so the tab bar.

Maybe she is closing the documents accidentally by middle-clicking on
the notebook tabs? But then a message should be in the status window
that a document was closed.