[Geany] possibly interesting competition

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Apr 10 17:28:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:32:29 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>

>  > normally post about something like this here (and non-free editors
>  > don't interest me much anyway), but the fellow who develops it has a
>  > somewhat interesting blog, coincidentally mentioning python embedding
>  > recently:
>  > http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/extending-with-python .
>
>  Hmm, he only talks about Python and Unicode paths on Windows, right?
>  How would it help us?

Well, his blog has a couple of articles about editors in general. If
you scroll down on the main blog page, some interesting features that
stand out to me are:

1. Using an embedded text search box (like Geany's Toolbar Search
field) instead of a dialog box. (Scribes does this as well.)

2. Multiple editing panes with minimal distraction. (The photo on the
blog shows 5 panes, both monitors full-screen). (I realize that
split-pane is a feature for Geany that's been requested and discussed
in the past.) Of course, Geany already has a nice View menu item to
toggle extra widgets.

3. Looks like Sublime has some things in common with TextMate. The
blog indicates it can read TextMate's "syntax files" (not sure exactly
what that means). TextMate is pretty popular right now on Mac OS X.
I've seen some pretty neat colorschemes on TextMate, many of which are
user-contributed. Might be pretty interesting if Geany, TextMate, and
Sublime could all interchangably use the same colorscheme files. Good
way to get a lot of free colorschemes. :)

Also, Sublime has a pretty neat ultra-zoomed-out file view that might
just be a novelty, or might be useful. Looks like the sort of thing
that could be done with a Geany plug-in and some graphics code.

Anyway, just some ideas that I thought Geany users might find
interesting to chat about.

---John