[Geany] possibly interesting competition

Yura Siamashka yurand2 at xxxxx
Thu Apr 10 21:31:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:28:46 -0400
"John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Using an embedded text search box (like Geany's Toolbar Search
> field) instead of a dialog box. (Scribes does this as well.)
If it is something like firefox search I don't think it have much benefits over dialog box. The only reason to have such thing if you are using tiled window manager like "awesome" or "ion3".

> 2. Multiple editing panes with minimal distraction. (The photo on the
> blog shows 5 panes, both monitors full-screen). (I realize that
> split-pane is a feature for Geany that's been requested and discussed
> in the past.) Of course, Geany already has a nice View menu item to
> toggle extra widgets.
It would be nice to see this in geany, but generaly panes are not very usefull in normal editing. Exception if it is some kind diff tool.

> 3. Looks like Sublime has some things in common with TextMate. The
> blog indicates it can read TextMate's "syntax files" (not sure exactly
> what that means). TextMate is pretty popular right now on Mac OS X.
> I've seen some pretty neat colorschemes on TextMate, many of which are
> user-contributed. Might be pretty interesting if Geany, TextMate, and
> Sublime could all interchangably use the same colorscheme files. Good
> way to get a lot of free colorschemes. :)
This is something totaly useless, at least for me. Who needs a lot of colorschemes? Only one but really good is needed.

> Also, Sublime has a pretty neat ultra-zoomed-out file view that might
> just be a novelty, or might be useful.
Mmm, how this feature can be any usefull in real life?

> Anyway, just some ideas that I thought Geany users might find
> interesting to chat about.
I didn't download it but something tell me it is not worth using even if it was free. Homepage contains only marketing bullshit. Either documentation is poor or editor doesn't have a lot of features.

p.s. As for python interface for plugin, it is not very difficult to make one, the only reason we don't have it - no one care enough to program it.

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>