[Geany] navigate forward and back

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sun Sep 9 22:27:03 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 14:56:19 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > What exactly do "Navigate forward a location" and "Navigate back a
> > location" do?
>
> You are in file A and click on "Go to Tag Definition". Then Geany
> switches to the file(if open) where the current tag is defined. If you
> now easily get back to your start point, you "Navigate back a
> location". This works also for symbol list items.
> This feature was added by a patch by Dave Moore and it is especially
> useful when exploring foreign code where you usually jump between
> functions and declarations.

Excellent feature! Thanks for the explanation.

> > The docs mention a "navigation history". What does that mean?
> I tried to describe it a bit in the docs(SVN r1864, [1]). But I'm not
> sure whether it sounds good and is well explained. Maybe someone wants
> to improve it ;-).

Good job. What you have there makes sense: the crux is that it is
activated only when navigating using tags and also when using the
symbol list tab with the mouse.

The only quirkiness I notice is:

1. When you change to a different tab, the initial position of the
cursor in that document is recorded as one of the navigation points.
This may possibly be a feature though.

2. When navigating forward and back, the items in the symbol list tab
don't highlight to correspond where the cursor goes.

---John