[Geany] Question regarding project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 28 17:05:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:44:42 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/26/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 26/10/07 13:27:59, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> >
> > > So far, the project management seems to simply let you define the
> > > base
> > > path of your project, and the svndiff plugin now seems to honour
> > > this (works great, thanks).
> > >
> > > But I'm not sure where else in geany the project definition is
> > > used.
> >
> > The base path is currently used for the make directory and run
> > command directory.
> >
> > > If I open a project, create a new file and want to save it, the
> > > save dialog seems not to make use of the project base and sets
> > > the default path to the invocation directory. Wouldn't it be
> > > fabulous if geany would
> > > use the active project's base path as default? Unless of course if
> > > the
> > > current directory is a subdirectory of the project's default.
> >
> > Good idea, I'll add this sometime.
> >

> Although I'm generally not big a fan of IDE's, in the past when I've
> set up "projects" with them, it worked differently than with Geany. In
> other IDE's, often a .proj file is used in a given directory to
> signify to the IDE that that directory contains a "project".
>
> The .proj file contained information about what files were in the
> project, along with other special project-specific settings. Because
> it's got the list of files for a given project, it also opens the
> possibility of displaying a logical "project browser" (showing a
> logical layout of all the modules/classes/functions in the project).
> What's very handy is that you can make any source directory into a
> "project" without having to group all projects into the same top-level
> project directory. This seems to make projects quite portable, and
> also allows you to easily version the .proj file along with your other
> source code.
>
> Just curious: why does Geany use its more centralized model? It seems
> less convenient, but maybe I'm not seeing other reasons it's the way
> it is.
Geany's way isn't that different. We don't store a concrete list of
files belonging to the project. Once we decided to not do it. Some of
the reasons:
- no real need to
- easier use for the user who don't have to maintain another file list
for his project(besides file lists of other tools like autotools or
the like)
- easier implementation

But the location of the project file itself is only by default in a
centralised directory(~/projects). This is only a suggestion and can be
changed by the user as needed. Furthermore, there is no need to keep
the project file outside of the project base path.

Since SVN r1984, you can also set base path relative to the project's
file name and so it's quite easy to use the generated project file
(file extension: .geany) among different systems.