[Geany] Question regarding project management

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 17:44:42 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26/10/07 13:27:59, Tim Tassonis wrote:
>
> > So far, the project management seems to simply let you define the
> > base
> > path of your project, and the svndiff plugin now seems to honour this
> > (works great, thanks).
> >
> > But I'm not sure where else in geany the project definition is used.
>
> The base path is currently used for the make directory and run command
> directory.
>
> > If I open a project, create a new file and want to save it, the save
> > dialog seems not to make use of the project base and sets the default
> > path to the invocation directory. Wouldn't it be fabulous if geany
> > would
> > use the active project's base path as default? Unless of course if
> > the
> > current directory is a subdirectory of the project's default.
>
> Good idea, I'll add this sometime.

Although I'm generally not big a fan of IDE's, in the past when I've
set up "projects" with them, it worked differently than with Geany. In
other IDE's, often a .proj file is used in a given directory to
signify to the IDE that that directory contains a "project".

The .proj file contained information about what files were in the
project, along with other special project-specific settings. Because
it's got the list of files for a given project, it also opens the
possibility of displaying a logical "project browser" (showing a
logical layout of all the modules/classes/functions in the project).
What's very handy is that you can make any source directory into a
"project" without having to group all projects into the same top-level
project directory. This seems to make projects quite portable, and
also allows you to easily version the .proj file along with your other
source code.

Just curious: why does Geany use its more centralized model? It seems
less convenient, but maybe I'm not seeing other reasons it's the way
it is.

---John