[Geany] Question regarding project management

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 15:38:34 UTC 2007

On 26/10/07 13:27:59, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> Hi Enrico/Nick et al
>
> I have a question regarding the project management facility in geany.
> I already apologize for asking questions that probably have been
> answered already and suggesting features that are already
> implemented...

No need, that's what the ML is for ;-) If the same questions come up
a lot, it's often a sign that we can improve things, when we have time.

> So far, the project management seems to simply let you define the
> base
> path of your project, and the svndiff plugin now seems to honour this
> (works great, thanks).
>
> But I'm not sure where else in geany the project definition is used.

The base path is currently used for the make directory and run command
directory.

> If I open a project, create a new file and want to save it, the save
> dialog seems not to make use of the project base and sets the default
> path to the invocation directory. Wouldn't it be fabulous if geany
> would
> use the active project's base path as default? Unless of course if
> the
> current directory is a subdirectory of the project's default.

Good idea, I'll add this sometime.

> Some more great ideas I have:
>
> It would be nice if the project definition would let you override
> certain defaults of the configuration, so when you open the project,
> they would be used instead. I'm thinking of stuff like:
> - Default characterset for new files
> - Tab width
> - Tabs/Spaces intendation

These ones probably will be added sometime. For existing files, you
might like the new 'Detect from file' tabs/spaces setting in SVN.

> - Line wrapping

I'm not sure about this one. I see that if you had a project that was
all plain text files it might be useful, but it's not a 'standard'-type
project issue. Perhaps it would be better if there was a different
feature, e.g. setting line wrapping if too many long lines are
detected.

> - Folding/autocompletion settings

Not sure about folding settings - what do you mean?

For autocompletion, wouldn't the keynames still be useful for the whole
filetype, not just a project? Maybe you could give an example.

> Is stuff like this planned?

Yes, but (at least from my point of view) there are other things I want
to work on first.

Regards,
Nick