[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Maxime Sadrieh (iKs) iks279 at xxxxx
Thu Jun 28 23:29:10 UTC 2007

Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:
>> >   Tab, Shift-Tab --> use Ctrl-9 & Ctrl-0 to indent/de-indent
>> >   by one space, and Ctrl-) & Ctrl-( to indent/de-indent by
>> >   one tab width.
>

>> I like this, but maybe it should be the other way around - on most
>> layouts ctrl-number is easier for common tab width indenting, and
>> holding shift for the less common case makes sense (for me anyway).
>

> For what it's worth, NEdit uses Ctrl+9 for single-space indent,
> and Ctrl+( for tab-width indent, so I would be inclined to
> vote for that.
>
> But if I remember correctly, Borland's editors use Ctrl+I and
> Ctrl+U for indent/unindent, so I guess it's impossible to not
> confuse somebody :-)
>
> - Jeff

About those Ctrl+9/Ctrl+0 and Ctrl+( Ctrl+) that you talked about,
remember everyone doesn't use qwery keybords :

Fore example on my french "azerty" keyboard, to pres Ctrl+9 you have to
press "Ctrl", "Shift" and the "9 button" (which is "ç" if you don't
press Shift) and for Ctrl+0, "Ctrl" + "Shift" + the "0 button" (which is
à if you don't press Shift).
That's not a big deal but keep it in mind.

Also, I don't know about qwerty keybords but ) and ( are not close to
each other here (they are 6 characters far from each other) and are not
next to 9 and 0 at all. That's a bit more of a problem if you choose to
keep those combination to indent/deindent.

So like somebody said, try to stay on alphanumeric characters elsewhat
the different keybord layouts will make it almost impossible for some
people to use your combinations efficiently ;)

iKs.