[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jun 28 21:29:22 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >   Tab, Shift-Tab --> use Ctrl-9 & Ctrl-0 to indent/de-indent
> > >   by one space, and Ctrl-) & Ctrl-( to indent/de-indent by
> > >   one tab width.
>

> > I like this, but maybe it should be the other way around - on most
> > layouts ctrl-number is easier for common tab width indenting, and
> > holding shift for the less common case makes sense (for me anyway).
>

> For what it's worth, NEdit uses Ctrl+9 for single-space indent,
> and Ctrl+( for tab-width indent, so I would be inclined to
> vote for that.
>
> But if I remember correctly, Borland's editors use Ctrl+I and
> Ctrl+U for indent/unindent, so I guess it's impossible to not
> confuse somebody :-)

Probably most important is to just pick a design and stay consistent
with it. If you're going to use Shift to make an editor function with
an obvious opposite do its opposite, then you should use that
throughout to keep the keybindings consistent.

Reminds me of an Emacs feature that always bugged me: Emacs often uses
Alt-key to mean something just more or extended than Ctrl-key (ex.
Ctrl-F to go forward-by-character, Alt-F to go forward-by-word).
That's fine, and you can get used to it pretty easily. But then they
go and set Ctrl-V be page-down, and Alt-V page up, which feels totally
wrong given you're already used to those modifier keys meaning
something else.

---John