[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jun 29 12:07:03 UTC 2007

On 06/29/2007 12:29:10 AM, Maxime Sadrieh (iKs) wrote:

> >> I like this, but maybe it should be the other way around - on most
> >> layouts ctrl-number is easier for common tab width indenting, and
> >> holding shift for the less common case makes sense (for me anyway).

Oops, I didn't want to remove tab/shift-tab, I meant replace
ctrl-[shift]-I to be changed.

> >[...]
> > But if I remember correctly, Borland's editors use Ctrl+I and
> > Ctrl+U for indent/unindent, so I guess it's impossible to not
> > confuse somebody :-)

I'd vote for this - I prefer having two adjacent keys for
indent/unindent, and it's easy to remember. It wouldn't use up
keybindings if we implemented indent by one space when holding shift -
otherwise there are no universal adjacent keys that can do this. It
would mean Ctrl-U for convert case would have to be changed, but IMO
this is a less common command.

> About those Ctrl+9/Ctrl+0 and Ctrl+( Ctrl+) that you talked about,
> remember everyone doesn't use qwery keybords :
>
> Fore example on my french "azerty" keyboard, to pres Ctrl+9 you have
> press "Ctrl", "Shift" and the "9 button" (which is "ç" if you don't
> press Shift) and for Ctrl+0, "Ctrl" + "Shift" + the "0 button" (which
> is
> à if you don't press Shift).

Yikes, I thought that was pretty much standard. I've just looked
through the Wikipedia page and it seems only AZERTY that does this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

I agree for common commands, but for less common ones (not indenting) I
think Ctrl-number is mostly OK (e.g. custom commands). We're running
out of keybindings(!) Also they are configurable.

> Also, I don't know about qwerty keybords but ) and ( are not close to
> each other here (they are 6 characters far from each other) and are
> not
> next to 9 and 0 at all. That's a bit more of a problem if you choose
> keep those combination to indent/deindent.

Yes, I guess those aren't a good choice.

> So like somebody said, try to stay on alphanumeric characters elsewhat
> the different keybord layouts will make it almost impossible for some
> people to use your combinations efficiently ;)

Ironically, it was me that said that ;-)

Regards,
Nick