[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 5 16:04:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:20:45 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/4/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds good. So, we remove the default keybindings for
> > comment/uncomment and let them undefined and we assign Ctrl-E to
> > toggle comment. OK?
>
> Sounds good to me. I'm interested to see how the new toggle comment
> behaviour ('//~' and '#~') works out in practice.
Me too ;-). I'm going to start implementing it.

> Also, since now Ctrl-G would be freed up, even though I know you
> prefer F3 for "find again" (and Shift-F3 for "find previous"), it's
> pretty standard to use Ctrl-G and Shift-Ctrl-G for that (Mac OS X,
> KDE, and Gnome). MS Windows is the only one who uses F3 for it. And
> Ctrl-G really is easier to hit than an F_key without looking away from
> the keyboard. Shift-F3 is even harder to hit. :) {ducks}
Hmm, it really seems to be more default to have Ctrl-(Shift-)G for Find
Next/Previous. I didn't know that and until now only saw F3/Shift-F3.
We could change it if Nick will agree.

> As long as we're looking at the Gnome HIG and the CUA standards, it
> looks like most apps use Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-M to deal with
> bookmarks. I think Ctrl-M is usually reserved for hopping between
> *m*atching bracket characters (parentheses, brackets, braces, angle
> brackets). If you went with that, you could possibly switch
> "Duplicate" to Shift-Alt-C (for *c*opy). This seems reasonable to me,
> since it's probably much more common to toggle bookmarks and toggle
> between matching brackets than duplicating selected text.
Oh please not. Switching between matching braces is nice but at least I
use it very rare. But I use duplicating lines/selection very very often
and I assume I get pain in my fingers if we change Duplicate to
Shift-Alt-C ;-).

> By the way, I'm still rooting for seeing:
>
> * Shift-Alt-W to select word
Will be done (only need to add the default keybinding).

> * Shift-Alt-L to select line
Shift-Alt-L is currently used a "Line Delete" by Scintilla, but I
suggest to remove the Line Delete feature (because of probably rare
usage) and use Shift-Alt-L for select line.

> * Shift-Alt-P to select paragraph
No problem, just needs to be implemented. Could paragraph defined in
some way? To avoid further discussions (;-)) we should use a common way
of defining a paragraph(start and end). Do you know what I mean?

> oooh, and maybe one more, given the previous paragraph:
>
> * Shift-Alt-M to select all text between matching brackets.
Hmm, nice idea.