[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 5 00:20:45 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Sounds good. So, we remove the default keybindings for
> comment/uncomment and let them undefined and we assign Ctrl-E to toggle
> comment. OK?

Sounds good to me. I'm interested to see how the new toggle comment
behaviour ('//~' and '#~') works out in practice.

Also, since now Ctrl-G would be freed up, even though I know you
prefer F3 for "find again" (and Shift-F3 for "find previous"), it's
pretty standard to use Ctrl-G and Shift-Ctrl-G for that (Mac OS X,
KDE, and Gnome). MS Windows is the only one who uses F3 for it. And
Ctrl-G really is easier to hit than an F_key without looking away from
the keyboard. Shift-F3 is even harder to hit. :) {ducks}

As long as we're looking at the Gnome HIG and the CUA standards, it
looks like most apps use Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-M to deal with
bookmarks. I think Ctrl-M is usually reserved for hopping between
*m*atching bracket characters (parentheses, brackets, braces, angle
brackets). If you went with that, you could possibly switch
"Duplicate" to Shift-Alt-C (for *c*opy). This seems reasonable to me,
since it's probably much more common to toggle bookmarks and toggle
between matching brackets than duplicating selected text.

By the way, I'm still rooting for seeing:

* Shift-Alt-W to select word
* Shift-Alt-L to select line
* Shift-Alt-P to select paragraph

oooh, and maybe one more, given the previous paragraph:

* Shift-Alt-M to select all text between matching brackets.

:)

---John