[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 5 16:47:30 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:20:45 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 7/4/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > >

> > As long as we're looking at the Gnome HIG and the CUA standards, it
> > looks like most apps use Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-M to deal with
> > bookmarks. I think Ctrl-M is usually reserved for hopping between
> > *m*atching bracket characters (parentheses, brackets, braces, angle
> > brackets). If you went with that, you could possibly switch
> > "Duplicate" to Shift-Alt-C (for *c*opy). This seems reasonable to me,
> > since it's probably much more common to toggle bookmarks and toggle
> > between matching brackets than duplicating selected text.
>
> Oh please not.

Hehe. :)

> Switching between matching braces is nice but at least I
> use it very rare. But I use duplicating lines/selection very very often
> and I assume I get pain in my fingers if we change Duplicate to
> Shift-Alt-C ;-).

Yes, I'm finding Duplicate quite helpful also, and maybe hitting
Shift-Alt on my ergonomic keyboard is easier than on other more
commonly-used keyboards.

> > By the way, I'm still rooting for seeing:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> > * Shift-Alt-L to select line
> Shift-Alt-L is currently used a "Line Delete" by Scintilla, but I
> suggest to remove the Line Delete feature (because of probably rare
> usage) and use Shift-Alt-L for select line.

Actually, that's Shift-Ctrl-L to delete current line, not Shift-Alt-L
(and Ctrl-L cuts the line). Deleting (or else cutting) the current
line is very handy, IMO. Though I'm used to both GNU Emacs and GNU
nano using Ctrl-K for it. Ctrl-L seems more like it should be "go to
line number" (what Ctrl-J is currently being used for). And I think
I've seen Ctrl-J used for "join lines" (that is, "replace the newline
at the end of this current line with a single space").

Incidentally, I don't see "delete current line" (or "cut current
line") listed in Help --> Keyboard shortcuts, or in Edit -->
Preferences --> Keybindings. I guess those 2 places are only for
Geany-specific (outside of Scintilla defaults) bindings?

> > * Shift-Alt-P to select paragraph
> No problem, just needs to be implemented. Could paragraph defined in
> some way? To avoid further discussions (;-)) we should use a common way
> of defining a paragraph(start and end). Do you know what I mean?

I think paragraphs are separated by blank lines (space is allowed).

---John