[Geany] New Windows build

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Dec 7 14:59:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:12:01 -0300, "Diego Jacobi"
<jacobidiego at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Was the main.c opened when starting Geany or was only the project
> loaded without any opened files?"
> The main.c was not open, i opened geany and i got a blank file and
> when clicking on open project, it ask me to close the existing one.
> So the project was open but not the main.c
Geany has "only" a basic project support. What it can and what not is
described in the manual.

> "Project name and executable filename are two
> different things."
> I was talking about a default appname. If the programmer choose to
> set one diferent, then he should be able to do it, but if i compile a
> main.c i get a main.exe, and not a projectname.exe. Then, setting a
> file to run can be done almost automatically checking if
> projectname.exe exists, if not, shows an open dialog.
If you compile or build a file, you compile or build a file. There is
no support to build a project or something line this. Maybe one want
to write a plugin or patch for this. Otherwise, using Makefiles would
lead to the same result with much less work.

> About the GEANY_USE_WIN32_DIALOG. its nice to have the option. Seems
> like the project is very well driven.
> There says: "The default Windows file dialogs are missing some nice
> features like choosing a filetype or an encoding."
> Choosing filetype?, i always have a combobox to choose, but i think
> that is called filter. Which in this case is almost the same.
No, it is no the same. The filter only filters files according to the
chosen filetype. The filetype selection in the GTK dialog is meant to
set the filetype with which Geany should open the selected file(s)
instead of autodetecting the filetype.

> About encoding, most good text editors i have seen, tries to
> autodetect the encoding, and allows to change it with options on the
Geany does this too. But there are limitations in auto-detecting the
file encoding. Patches to improve are welcome but the shown encoding
list was requested by users to manually choose an encoding when opening
files.

> "Open Build->Set Includes and Arguments and then adjust the Execute
> field to the path to your python executable as necessary."
> The "Execute field" is disabled, but it executes well, i guess that
> is not calling python directly to run the script, geany executes it
> directly. But for compiling it fails.
The execute field is disabled when you have an opened project and have
set a Run command for the project.

> "How to do that? Doesn't the $PATH variable exist exactly for that
> reason?"
> I think that not all the users can have access to change the
> environment variables.
Why? AFAIK, the PATH environment variable can also be set as an user
without admin privileges. And it is just the common way.

> To ask the OS i think that will be needed to use some windows files,
> maybe rundll or maybe, the windows api, i can check for that if you
> want.   :)
If you want to, do it ;-).

> "where did you set it? This is not a problem of Geany but of your
> setup and/or gcc. To avoid passing all this on the command line I
> suggest to use Makefiles."
>
> I didn't SET it. The GTK installer does. And gcc is installed by its
> installer so both are as they come.
> What do you mean with the problem is on my gcc setup. Should gcc
> always check on the includes environ?
I don't know whether gcc should check these, should Geany? Then you
need the same thing for linker includes. And it seems not be some
standard way. Build support in Geany is not meant to be a complex
support-everything system but just a basic way to easily compile and
build small files. For bigger, more complex projects or source code
files there is the possibility to execute the make command.