[Geany] New Windows build

Diego Jacobi jacobidiego at xxxxx
Fri Dec 7 21:09:55 UTC 2007

2007/12/7, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:12:01 -0300, "Diego Jacobi"
> <jacobidiego at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Was the main.c opened when starting Geany or was only the project
> > loaded without any opened files?"
> > The main.c was not open, i opened geany and i got a blank file and
> > when clicking on open project, it ask me to close the existing one.
> > So the project was open but not the main.c
> Geany has "only" a basic project support. What it can and what not is
> described in the manual.

Yes, i see now, the build menu on geany is related to the file opened, not
to the project.
I see that options on this menu change according to the programming
language.
This can make things really easy for single file projects, and for large
projects ones must use makefiles.
I perfectly agree with that.

> "Project name and executable filename are two
> > different things."
> > I was talking about a default appname. If the programmer choose to
> > set one diferent, then he should be able to do it, but if i compile a
> > main.c i get a main.exe, and not a projectname.exe. Then, setting a
> > file to run can be done almost automatically checking if
> > projectname.exe exists, if not, shows an open dialog.
> If you compile or build a file, you compile or build a file. There is
> no support to build a project or something line this.Maybe one want

to write a plugin or patch for this. Otherwise, using Makefiles would
> lead to the same result with much less work.

Seems like you dont understand me.
I wasn't talking about makefiles.
And i agree projects should use makefiles not projects files.

> About the GEANY_USE_WIN32_DIALOG. its nice to have the option. Seems
> > like the project is very well driven.
> > There says: "The default Windows file dialogs are missing some nice
> > features like choosing a filetype or an encoding."
> > Choosing filetype?, i always have a combobox to choose, but i think
> > that is called filter. Which in this case is almost the same.
> No, it is no the same. The filter only filters files according to the
> chosen filetype. The filetype selection in the GTK dialog is meant to
> set the filetype with which Geany should open the selected file(s)
> instead of autodetecting the filetype.

I see what you say.
Any way, i have never get on the need to have a so uncommon coded file that
i should exactly tell what is the encodding.
Cant the autodetection ask for the encodding if doesn't detect it?

> About encoding, most good text editors i have seen, tries to
> > autodetect the encoding, and allows to change it with options on the
> Geany does this too. But there are limitations in auto-detecting the
> file encoding. Patches to improve are welcome but the shown encoding
> list was requested by users to manually choose an encoding when opening
> files.
>
> > "Open Build->Set Includes and Arguments and then adjust the Execute
> > field to the path to your python executable as necessary."
> > The "Execute field" is disabled, but it executes well, i guess that
> > is not calling python directly to run the script, geany executes it
> > directly. But for compiling it fails.
> The execute field is disabled when you have an opened project and have
> set a Run command for the project.
>
> > "How to do that? Doesn't the $PATH variable exist exactly for that
> > reason?"
> > I think that not all the users can have access to change the
> > environment variables.
> Why? AFAIK, the PATH environment variable can also be set as an user
> without admin privileges. And it is just the common way.
>
> > To ask the OS i think that will be needed to use some windows files,
> > maybe rundll or maybe, the windows api, i can check for that if you
> > want.   :)
> If you want to, do it ;-).
>
> > "where did you set it? This is not a problem of Geany but of your
> > setup and/or gcc. To avoid passing all this on the command line I
> > suggest to use Makefiles."
> >
> > I didn't SET it. The GTK installer does. And gcc is installed by its
> > installer so both are as they come.
> > What do you mean with the problem is on my gcc setup. Should gcc
> > always check on the includes environ?
> I don't know whether gcc should check these, should Geany? Then you
> need the same thing for linker includes. And it seems not be some
> standard way. Build support in Geany is not meant to be a complex
> support-everything system but just a basic way to easily compile and
> build small files. For bigger, more complex projects or source code
> files there is the possibility to execute the make command.

I tried to compile a single file gtked hello world to test geany as a build
environment for gtk, and it fails. Why? becouse i have to put manually each
include path on the gcc line, which are all already on the INCLUDES path on
windows.

To compile a single filed hello world i have to make a makefile. I think
that it should maybe the 5º or 6º step on the gtk lernning process, or any C
lernning process.
Makefiles are not easy for people how recently try to learn programming, and
also i think that for compiling a single filed hello world when all the
includes and libs folders are already declared on the systems environment
variables a makefile shouldn't be necesary.

Dont know how much dificult could be appending a %I to be replaced for as
many include paths as are on the INCLUDE environ or a %L to libs.
It will make things easier for simple projects, and leave makefiles only for
multifiled projects.
The process should be:
Read the INCLUDES environ.
Split with ";" (windows separator).
Append -I to each path.
Join the list of paths.
Replace %I for the join list of paths.
The same for libs.

It makes testing an api and lernning much more easy as there is no need to
make a makefile.

Cheers.
Diego