[Geany] symbols tab, code browser

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Wed Aug 15 16:29:46 UTC 2007

Would the Symbol list in the Sidebar be more useful if it weren't sorted?

For example, I'm looking at a source file containing a multiple
classes, each with its own methods and variables. Seems like it would
be much more useful to actually see them listed in the symbol list *as
they appear in the file*, rather than all blended together,
homogenized, and alphabetized. Especially now that we have nice icons
to the left of the name to tell us what the name represents.

That is, instead of seeing:

Classes
    Foo
    Bar
    Baz
Methods
    foo
    foo
    bar1
    bar2
    zed
Variables
    a1
    a1
    a2
    bee

we'd see

Baz
    zed
    a1
    a2
Foo
    foo
    a1
Bar
    foo
    bar1
    bar2

As it is now, to use the Symbol list, I need to already know the name
of what I'm looking for. But if I had the name already in-mind, it's
usually just faster to do an incremental search than to take my hands
off the keyboard. The value of the Symbol list, IMO, is to give me an
overview of the file I'm looking at -- like a google map where I can
zoom out, see the file from 10000 m, and then zoom back in (by
clicking one of the symbols).

---John