[Geany] a review of Geany

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 17:28:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:46:45 +0200, "Mateusz Mucha" <muszek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've written a review of Geany and published it at
> http://www.ubuntunews.info/geany-perfect-programming-ide
> Please drop me an e-mail (or comment the article) if you'd like to add
> or correct something.
>
> I submitted it to Digg - if we're lucky, you guys will have quite a
> few new users (I hope that's a good thing :P ).
That's a good thing! Great work, thanks.

You mentioned the guy who designed the user interface. It was an user,
the first user, me. I just designed it like I wanted it to be without
any knowledge of any human interface guidelines. Ok, in the meantime
the interface got improved but the basic design is still the same.

Regarding the browser problem(e.g. to open help):
On Windows there is a standard way to open system's default browser and
it is used. But is there any on Linux/Unix-based systems with all the
different flavours?
I know sensible-browser on Debian, maybe it also exists on Ubuntu but
probably Fedora, SuSE and/or Mandriva use other systems. And what about
different desktop environments. Xfce has exo-open to open URLs, KDE and
Gnome probably have some routines, too. But AFAIK there is no common
standard way to get a browser opened.
So we try to start some commonly used browsers and fall back to the
next one if one couldn't be started. These browsers are:
browser found in the settings, firefox, mozilla, opera, konqueror,
netscape (tried in that order).
I admit the order of these browsers may be related to my personal
preferences ;-). When starting Geany the first time, it uses default
values and the default value for the browser is currently mozilla. I
will change this to Firefox. But it is still a predefined value...IMO
the best one because Firefox is available on nearly all systems(at
least Unix-based, Windows and MacOSX), it is desktop environment
independent and it is widely used.

I added the link on the about page on Geany's website ;-).