[Geany-Devel] Integrate ESLint into Geany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Aug 10 22:34:07 UTC 2016

Le 11/08/2016 à 00:27, Abel a écrit :
> […]
>
>     If the editor can execute Node.js directly (like Atom or Visual
>     Studio Code), you can use Node.js
>     API: http://eslint.org/docs/developer-guide/nodejs-api
>     <http://eslint.org/docs/developer-guide/nodejs-api>Otherwise (like
>     Sublime Text or Vim), maybe you can use CLI and communicate
>     by stdio: http://eslint.org/docs/user-guide/command-line-interface
>     <http://eslint.org/docs/user-guide/command-line-interface>
>

> But if there are plugins for sublime or vim using CLI, it seems that the
> CLI way is not that bad.
> BTW, I forgot to link to the list of known editors integrations with
> ESLint: http://eslint.org/docs/user-guide/integrations#editors
> <http://eslint.org/docs/user-guide/integrations#editors>

If you can communicate with the process yes, you could write a plugin
doing so more dynamically than a build command.  If the process can work
with pipes even better.
That's a Mere Matter of Programming, but it should not be *too* hard to
do (Geany even has some supposedly handy API for communicating with a
subprocess, taking care of the most obvious issues it implicates).

>     Also, for the moment you pretty much need to write Geany
>     plugins in C or C++, although Thomas' Peasy plugin [1] adds support for
>     several languages (include JS I'd believe), and it's getting closer to
>     stability.
>

> What about Vala?

Well, Vala requires a description of the C API too, but yes it can work.
 There is a manually generated VAPI file, but Thomas' work also generate
a VAPI file automatically.  That could probably be used.

> it's getting closer to stability means that it'll be soon inside Geany
> trunk??

It's a plugin for Geany that adds support for extra plugins (it's
actually a proxy for other plugins in other languages).  I don't know
when he'll consider it stable, but he certainly can answer.  I think he
considers it beta or close to that -- i.e. working, but would require
wider testing.

Regards,
Colomban