[Geany-Devel] End of Line

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Nov 28 01:56:33 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-27 9:57 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> [...]
>
> Enough. If the gtk+3 developers want to target the mobile market
> or something, so be it. [...]

I feel your frustration. The overall Windows support by GTK+ has
severely degraded with GTK+ 3 in a number of ways:

   - Uses touch-style GNOME theme which looks absolutely grotesque.
     We'll have to ship a CSS theme for each Windows version if we
     care at all about Geany feeling like a good Windows app.
   - A number of common dialogs have been crippled to facilitate
     use by mobiles (even though GTK+ basically isn't viable on
     99% of the worlds mobile devices). Also the file dialogs crash
     when compiled for 64-bit Windows (ie. the mainstream).
   - Doesn't provide any built-in fallback icons, so we'll have
     to ship a whole set of stock icons we use from Tango or
     GNOME3 theme.
   - Can't be bothered to provide binaries as is customary for
     Windows software to do. Instead, pawn off the responsibility
     to a simulated Unix-like environment which is massive, slow
     and requires special scripts in each app to extract all of
     GTK+ binaries from a full Unix-like root filesystem install.
   - Not to mention specific bugs and regressions as you're
     experiencing.

Personally I'll be sticking with GTK+ 2 on Windows with Geany as long as
possible.

It's not much better when I'm in Linux either. GTK+ 3 completely broke
(ie. de-activated) theme engines, not even waiting for GTK+ 4, so the
theme engine KDE used which provided almost perfect integration of GTK+
apps into KDE no longer works and all GTK+ 3 apps look horrid and out of
place now. I'll also be sticking with GTK+ 2 on Linux.

</rant>

Sad to hear you're not gonna use Geany though, I find the GTK+ 2
releases of Geany to still be very usable on Windows 7 and 10.