[Geany-Devel] Devel Digest, Vol 93, Issue 2

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Dec 15 13:35:47 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> […]
>>
>> The API has been fixed to not leak symbols, which it did for a few
>> recent versions. The only functions that are public, which is how it's
>> always been, are those documented in the API reference[0]. That you were
>> able to compile and link against private symbols was a bug in Geany.

BTW, linking to private API never worked under Windows.

> […]
>
> I can probably find an alternative workaround for document_close_all,
> e.g. iterate document_index(0) until it returns NULL, and call
> document_close; so I think should be ok too.
>
> The project functions however, since Djynn is meant to integrate with
> the internal Geany project manager, with functions for opening and
> closing projects. I believe Geany would be enhanced by the possibility
> for plugins to open and close projects. When creating a Djynn-project a
> Geany-project is generated automatically, and when opening and closing
> Djynn-projects, the Geany-projects are opened and closed too. It's been
> working very well, seamlessly and invisibly, and would be a loss if I
> had to cut out the Geany-project integration.

I've got what might be a stupid question, but couldn't your plugin
integrate with Geany projects the other way around, e.g. your plugin
reacts to project open/close rather than making Geany react to your
plugin's project open/close?

I must admit I didn't try your plugin, but there are a few other plugins
enhancing Geany's project support, and AFAIU they do this by listening
to Geany project open/close and add their own logic to that.

> Anyway, I'm sure document_close_all could be used by many plugins, but
> filetypes_detect_from_document is not needed. The project functions
> would be much appreciated. That's all on my xmas wishlist :)

Adding `document_close_all()` sounds reasonable indeed.  Out of
curiosity, why do you need it?
Project stuff might be too, depending on your answer on the above
project-related question.

Regards,
Colomban