[Geany-Devel] Devel Digest, Vol 93, Issue 2

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue Dec 15 14:13:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Colomban Wendling <
lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> […]
> >>
> >> The API has been fixed to not leak symbols, which it did for a few
> >> recent versions. The only functions that are public, which is how it's
> >> always been, are those documented in the API reference[0]. That you were
> >> able to compile and link against private symbols was a bug in Geany.
>
> BTW, linking to private API never worked under Windows.
>
> > […]
> >
> > I can probably find an alternative workaround for document_close_all,
> > e.g. iterate document_index(0) until it returns NULL, and call
> > document_close; so I think should be ok too.
> >
> > The project functions however, since Djynn is meant to integrate with
> > the internal Geany project manager, with functions for opening and
> > closing projects. I believe Geany would be enhanced by the possibility
> > for plugins to open and close projects. When creating a Djynn-project a
> > Geany-project is generated automatically, and when opening and closing
> > Djynn-projects, the Geany-projects are opened and closed too. It's been
> > working very well, seamlessly and invisibly, and would be a loss if I
> > had to cut out the Geany-project integration.
>
> I've got what might be a stupid question, but couldn't your plugin
> integrate with Geany projects the other way around, e.g. your plugin
> reacts to project open/close rather than making Geany react to your
> plugin's project open/close?

If I understand the project part of the plugin (haven't tried it either),
it tries to simplify switching between projects and organizing projects
into workspaces. In the screenshot here

http://plugins.geany.org/djynn.html

it seems that the second combo serves switching between projects in a
workspace so it's the plugin which decides whether a project should be
opened/closed rather than Geany. This functionality cannot be done with
listening to the signals only so access to project_open()/close() makes
sense here.

The other thing is the plugin itself is a bit too "All the stuff I need in
Geany" and it would be better break the functionality into individual
plugins, or extending existing plugins or adding the functionality directly
to Geany.

Jiri