[Geany-Devel] Certain functions won't compile since 1.25+

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Dec 14 15:32:28 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-14 4:45 AM, Per Löwgren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First and foremost, thank you for the absolutely wonderful job you're doing
> with Geany!
>
> I'm working on my plugin Djynn, which is registered as a third-party plugin
> at the moment. Recently some functions won't compile, it seems since 1.25,
> though I didn't have this problem a few months ago. Most compiles however,
> it's only these functions I've noticed: filetypes_detect_from_document,
> project_close, project_load_file, document_close_all.
>
> All those functions generate this error: "error: implicit declaration of
> function ‘...’"
>
> This means the functions aren't somehow included with "#include
> <geanyplugins.h>", though they are when I look in the headers, but I do
> notice a "#ifdef GEANY_PRIVATE" wrapping these functions. So I wonder if
> they are removed as available to plugins, or can I simply define
> GEANY_PRIVATE? Would that cause any problems? Or is there a work around
> I've missed?
>
> I regularly read this list, it may be I've missed any updates or changes in
> the API; sorry for taking up your time in case you've already declared such
> changes.

Hi,

The API has been fixed to not leak symbols, which it did for a few
recent versions. The only functions that are public, which is how it's
always been, are those documented in the API reference[0]. That you were
able to compile and link against private symbols was a bug in Geany. If
you need those functions though, they can likely be added to the public
API with a pull request.

[0]: http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/