[Geany-Devel] Win32 color chooser dialog removal, concerning the Pull Request #215

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Mar 5 20:14:52 UTC 2014

On 04/03/14 16:41, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 14-03-04 06:57 AM, Steven VALSESIA wrote:
>> Hi everybody !
>>
>> I copy-paste a code that belong to Peter Scholtens that add an apply
>> button
>> to the color chooser.
>>
>> But to make that code useful to windows users, and make the code more
>> maintainable, I choose to remove the Win32 API window dialog and put the
>> Gtk's one !
>>

> As long as it's not the new toy GTK3 dialog made for exclusively for
> smart phones, it's really really terrible.
>
>> Does someone know why that dialog has been used for ?
>> Does somebody feel that move disrespectful ? :P
>>

> IMO, it should follow the "use_win32_native_dialogs" (or whatever)
> preference at least, like the other native win32 dialogs. But, I see no
> point in completely removing it while leaving all the other win32 native
> dialogs in there, it seems kind of an arbitrary change.

Agreed.
@Steven: the reason for the native win32 dialogs is simply that people
requested it. And I think it's not that bad in general to have native
dialogs while it is also good to have GTK dialogs which are also
somewhat native, just to GTK.
It's just the win32 API which is horrible.

> Also the colour chooser should be in a plugin too IMO, not mixed-in to
> core code, but I guess that's a different subject :)

Yes.
IIRC there is somewhere a TODO floating around suggesting this. Don't
remember where it was (code, file TODO, my head, ...).