[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Yosef Or Boczko yoseforb at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 00:14:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 11/10/2013 01:24, Yosef Or Boczko a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi.  I won't be much available this WE so I'm dropping a quick reply.
>
>> I think is good idea to make the UI more clean and modern.
>>
>> For this we need to port the images in the toolbar to symbol icons.
>
> Why would it be more "clean" and "modern"?  OK, GTK guys seem to think
> that having a non-uniform desktop experience by dropping one of the
> greatest features GTK had (stock items) is a good idea, so we probably
> will have to do something at some point, but I highly doubt it will make
> anything "cleaner".
>
> BTW, IIUC (I didn't read all of all the threads) even them realize that
> breaking apps look with the same major toolkit version like they did for
> 3.10 wasn't a good idea.

The icons in Stock is icons in some sizes, not SVG.
The symbolic icons is SVG, better polished.
Note: also for the symbolic icons have a themes.

>> Also, in GNOME 3.10 the Stock items is drop [1], and UI with Stock is
>> look outdated.
>
> How does the UI look outdated?  Using named icons won't change a thing,
> in the end they all use the theme's icons.

The icons in the menus and in the buttons in the dialogs isn't add any
information.
I not think the 'OK' icon is add information there isn't in the string „Save”.

>> I attachad a patch and screenshot (with GTK+ 3.11.0, from git).
>>
>> I missing some symbols: Choose a color, Build, Search & Replace,
>> Compile, Save All, Reverte, Close All and Quit icons.
>
> It's weird for Quit icon, and probably revert and search, but Build,
> Compiler, Save all, etc. are custom things so unless the theme provides
> some it will always look different, no matter what API you use.  And the
> other items also use stock icons, and they use your theme.

About the custom icons: same to add a GEANY_STOCK_SAVE_ALL icon,
I want to add a symbolic icon for Save All.

> <ot>(and BTW dropping stock items will most likely make weird icons more
> and more common)</ot>
>
>> For Stock Icons I missing many places, but I started to work on this
>> (it just search and replace).
>
> I don't like it, at least like you did it, because it drops a lot of
> icons (like in buttons).  And I like icons on elements, it makes common
> things like Cancel or OK a lot easier to recognize at first glance.

As I sad:
„The icons in the menus and in the buttons in the dialogs isn't add any
information.
I not think the 'OK' icon is add information there isn't in the string „Save”.”

> I'm not saying that we should keep using stock items or something, but
> AFAIK there currently isn't much non-deprecated API that exists both in
> GTK2 and GTK3 that allows for icons (and even better, allows for icons
> at the user's choice -- I can't get why having or not icons can break a
> UI design, but I guess I'll never understand UI designer's POV apart
> that they love removing useful stuff because they think users a so duuuumb).

GTK+ 2.24.0 released in 2011, soon we are in 2014.

Also the widgets with image in a menu is deprecated (GtkImageMenuItem, for
example), and also the function to create a buttons with Stock item is
deprecated
(gtk_button_new_from_stock() and gtk_image_new_from_stock() for example).