[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 00:27:50 UTC 2013

On 13-10-10 05:14 PM, Yosef Or Boczko wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Colomban Wendling
> <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>> Le 11/10/2013 01:24, Yosef Or Boczko a écrit :
>>> [snip]
>

>>> Also, in GNOME 3.10 the Stock items is drop [1], and UI with Stock is
>>> look outdated.
>>
>> How does the UI look outdated?  Using named icons won't change a thing,
>> in the end they all use the theme's icons.
>
> The icons in the menus and in the buttons in the dialogs isn't add any
> information.
> I not think the 'OK' icon is add information there isn't in the string „Save”.

So why have anything that doesn't add information? We could use
text-only toolbar, force off user's theme choice and use plain/stock
theme, remove choice of syntax highlighting colours, remove icons from
the symbols tree, hard-code the font family and size to the Geany
developers preference, etc...

In reality it doesn't matter what we think, or what the GNOME design
team thinks, such stuff is extremely subjective and personal and the
only apps that need to care about GNOME design manifesto are GNOME
applications themselves.

P.S. As you can tell this subject is extremely controversial outside of
GNOME-land (or at least inside of Geany-land), please don't mistake
rants for anything personal against your own valid opinions :)