[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Oct 10 23:43:46 UTC 2013

Le 11/10/2013 01:24, Yosef Or Boczko a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hi.  I won't be much available this WE so I'm dropping a quick reply.

> I think is good idea to make the UI more clean and modern.
>
> For this we need to port the images in the toolbar to symbol icons.

Why would it be more "clean" and "modern"?  OK, GTK guys seem to think
that having a non-uniform desktop experience by dropping one of the
greatest features GTK had (stock items) is a good idea, so we probably
will have to do something at some point, but I highly doubt it will make
anything "cleaner".

BTW, IIUC (I didn't read all of all the threads) even them realize that
breaking apps look with the same major toolkit version like they did for
3.10 wasn't a good idea.

> Also, in GNOME 3.10 the Stock items is drop [1], and UI with Stock is
> look outdated.

How does the UI look outdated?  Using named icons won't change a thing,
in the end they all use the theme's icons.

> I attachad a patch and screenshot (with GTK+ 3.11.0, from git).
>
> I missing some symbols: Choose a color, Build, Search & Replace,
> Compile, Save All, Reverte, Close All and Quit icons.

It's weird for Quit icon, and probably revert and search, but Build,
Compiler, Save all, etc. are custom things so unless the theme provides
some it will always look different, no matter what API you use.  And the
other items also use stock icons, and they use your theme.

<ot>(and BTW dropping stock items will most likely make weird icons more
and more common)</ot>

> For Stock Icons I missing many places, but I started to work on this
> (it just search and replace).

I don't like it, at least like you did it, because it drops a lot of
icons (like in buttons).  And I like icons on elements, it makes common
things like Cancel or OK a lot easier to recognize at first glance.

I'm not saying that we should keep using stock items or something, but
AFAIK there currently isn't much non-deprecated API that exists both in
GTK2 and GTK3 that allows for icons (and even better, allows for icons
at the user's choice -- I can't get why having or not icons can break a
UI design, but I guess I'll never understand UI designer's POV apart
that they love removing useful stuff because they think users a so duuuumb).

</gtk rant>

So well, if there is a way not to use deprecated API while not changing
the UI I'd be fine with it;  but otherwise you'll need to have a way
better argument than "moderner" to convince me :)

Cheers,
Colomban