[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Oct 10 23:54:59 UTC 2013

On 13-10-10 04:24 PM, Yosef Or Boczko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think is good idea to make the UI more clean
> and modern.
>
> For this we need to port the images in the toolbar
> to symbol icons.
>
> Also, in GNOME 3.10 the Stock items is drop [1],

SOOOOO stupid... as you can tell by my rants, and other peoples comments
on that thread :)

> and UI with Stock is look outdated.

How does it look outdated? It depends which icon theme you have. If you
mean showing icons in menus and on buttons, which personally I very much
like, there is (or was, if GNOME guys didn't drop it) a global
preference to turn this on/off for yourself.

> I attachad a patch and screenshot (with GTK+ 3.11.0, from git).

I don't see any difference in the screenshot, except different icons
from the theme I use.

> I missing some symbols:
> Choose a color, Build, Search & Replace,
> Compile, Save All, Reverte, Close All and
> Quit icons.

Custom icons, must get it into default/builtin GTK+ icon set (or Tango
or however that works) if you want to drop them, or re-hard code them as
XPMs in the source code like they used to be :) (actually I think
"colour" icon is available in stock/tango/named/whatever icons).

> For Stock Icons I missing many places,
> but I started to work on this (it just search
> and replace).

Meh. Even though we'll eventually be forced to follow stupid GNOME
direction, we have until GTK+4 to start caring. I'd rather just disable
deprecation warnings around the stock icon stuff until then, personally.