[Geany-Devel] Idea: use function keys as modifiers?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed May 29 02:32:47 UTC 2013

On 29 May 2013 08:04, Thrawn <shell_layer-geany at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> Is it possible to enable the use of the function keys, F1-F12, as modifier
> keys?
>
> I love Geany's custom keybindings, but I'm running out of intuitive
> options, especially with multiple plugins and multiple custom Lua scripts.
> Using the function keys as extra modifiers would help a lot.
>
> It would be much easier to remember, say, F9+c = compile, F9+m = make,
> F9+o = Make custom object, F9+e = Execute, rather than using F8, F9,
> Shift+F8, Shift+F9, Ctrl+Shift+F8, etc. Plus there would be over a thousand
> shortcuts available that way (although using Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F12 might
> require dislocating fingers).
>
> Is it feasible to implement this in Geany?

This isn't a Geany problem.  I would expect Geany to accept it, ... if you
can persuade GDK and your keyboard mapping software to accept it.

has 5 "virtual" modifiers.  <mod1> is usually <alt>, <mod2-5>  depend on
the keymap.

I don't know what your keymap is, and how much control your desktop gives
you, mine is kind of limited.  But if you can persuade it to generate meta
or hyper modifiers you have a whole new set of bindings to play with. :)