[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Thrawn shell_layer-geany at xxxxx
Fri Feb 8 00:09:06 UTC 2013

> > Yes, without a maintainer, as soon as it breaks with a new version of
> > Geany I would expect it to be removed from G-P package.  The G-P
> > maintainers have done a great job carrying the Lua plugin until now.
>
> From my remembering Nick did the biggest part of it.

I'd be sorry to see it go. It seems to me that Lua scripting has huge potential, mostly overlooked; it can quickly and easily do many of the jobs that would normally be plugins (I've written short scripts to compare open files, edit files as hex, and quickly find+open files in the current project using partial file names). If it were a choice between fixing it and dropping it, I'd probably take up the job myself.

> > I think Frank is right, as a public plugin you are setting yourself up
> > for complaints.  Of course for your own use its fine to build such a
> > plugin.
>
> I agree. However, I'd also find it useful in some situations
> (as well as an "Emacs-mode" in other situations.
> So. Maybe we should it say it in this way: Users will not
> sending you "great job" if they like your plugin, but "it
> shall also support ..." ;)

Fair enough :D. If people do that, though, then at least it will mean that they're noticing the existence of the Lua plugin. Who knows, maybe they'd modify the script or write their own; it's not hard at all, and the geanylua documentation is quite good.

I think Emacs mode is out, though...vi commands are mostly very easy to translate into cursor movement and clipboard operations. Emacs commands are not.

Will work on this if I get time, and upload to Geany Wiki.