[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Feb 7 10:50:41 UTC 2013

Am 2013-02-07 09:33, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> [...]
>>
>> But we cannot assure it will in future as there is no real
>> maintainer.
>> Personally I was already thinking of removing the plugin btw.
>>

> Yes, without a maintainer, as soon as it breaks with a new version of
> Geany I would expect it to be removed from G-P package.  The G-P
> maintainers have done a great job carrying the Lua plugin until now.

 From my remembering Nick did the biggest part of it.

>>> Either way, do you think that a vim overlay would be useful (to
>>> some)?
>>

>> As old tall tell there is also kind of a vim mode in emacs, there is
>> for
>> sure somebody who think its useful. But this being said: I expect
>> here you
>> will open Pandoras box. There will be people outside - lot of people
>> - that
>> will ask "why is :foobaa not supported".
>
> I would recommend a quick google of Eclipse vim plugins, a cautionary
> tale.  There are several plugins but they are criticised because they
> don't work well enough, are unreliable, so they are abandoned etc.
> And that includes one that uses vim itself as the plugin.  None of
> them seem to have attained any real traction.
>
> I think Frank is right, as a public plugin you are setting yourself
> up
> for complaints.  Of course for your own use its fine to build such a
> plugin.

I agree. However, I'd also find it useful in some situations (as well
as an "Emacs-mode" in other situations.
So. Maybe we should it say it in this way: Users will not sending you
"great job" if they like your plugin, but "it shall also support ..." ;)

Cheers,
Frank