[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Feb 8 01:12:15 UTC 2013

On 13-02-07 04:09 PM, Thrawn wrote:
>>> Yes, without a maintainer, as soon as it breaks with a new version of
>>> Geany I would expect it to be removed from G-P package.  The G-P
>>> maintainers have done a great job carrying the Lua plugin until now.
>>
>>  From my remembering Nick did the biggest part of it.
>
> I'd be sorry to see it go. It seems to me that Lua scripting has huge potential, mostly overlooked; it can quickly and easily do many of the jobs that would normally be plugins (I've written short scripts to compare open files, edit files as hex, and quickly find+open files in the current project using partial file names). If it were a choice between fixing it and dropping it, I'd probably take up the job myself.

IMO, it'd be silly removing a perfectly functional plugin unless it
breaks and no one wants to fix it. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon
with both Lua and Geany plugin API being quite stable, and unless the
breakage is massive and hard to fix, I'd also be willing to pitch in to
keep it working, as other contributors have done in the past.

I'll also take this opportunity to point out the existence of
GeanyPy[1], which for me makes more sense since I know Python fairly
well and Lua not at all :)

[1] https://github.com/codebrainz/geanypy