[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 7 08:33:16 UTC 2013

[...]
> But we cannot assure it will in future as there is no real maintainer.
> Personally I was already thinking of removing the plugin btw.

Yes, without a maintainer, as soon as it breaks with a new version of
Geany I would expect it to be removed from G-P package.  The G-P
maintainers have done a great job carrying the Lua plugin until now.

>> Either way, do you think that a vim overlay would be useful (to some)?
>

> As old tall tell there is also kind of a vim mode in emacs, there is for
> sure somebody who think its useful. But this being said: I expect here you
> will open Pandoras box. There will be people outside - lot of people - that
> will ask "why is :foobaa not supported".

I would recommend a quick google of Eclipse vim plugins, a cautionary
tale.  There are several plugins but they are criticised because they
don't work well enough, are unreliable, so they are abandoned etc.
And that includes one that uses vim itself as the plugin.  None of
them seem to have attained any real traction.

I think Frank is right, as a public plugin you are setting yourself up
for complaints.  Of course for your own use its fine to build such a
plugin.