[Geany-devel] [geany/geany] Question on - 7b3b65: Add workaround for users with an invisible selection style

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jun 6 14:16:46 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 06:10, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 5 June 2012 01:30, Nick Treleaven<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>  wrote:
>> On 04/06/2012 07:59, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>>
>>> Based on your answer on my ML question is this necessary?
>>>
>>> Now that we always apply the settings, a selection style of
>>> false,false will reset to the Scintilla default "The default is to
>>> show the selection by changing the background to light gray and
>>> leaving the foreground the same as when it was not selected".  So
>>> false, false shouldn't be invisible.
>>>
>>> Of course it might be invisible on particular backgrounds, but so might
>>> c0c0c0.
>>>
>>> Or have I still misunderstood something?
>>

>> Try it yourself - here I get an invisible selection if neither override is
>> set. Possibly a Scintilla bug - the Scintilla default is not restored on
>> calling SCI_SETSELBACK when the first argument is 0/FALSE.
>
> Hmm,  the code certainly uses the text fg/bg if the flag isn't true
> Editor.cxx:2379 so I asked Neil for clarification of the docs which
> might be read either way, he confirms it is intended this way.
>
> So we need to do something like this.  Since we are in string freeze I
> guess all we can do is a fixed value, we can't add any user settings
> or change the message.

Debug messages are not translated. The string freeze only prevents us
changing translated strings.

> I guess we need to advertise the change of colour scheme behavior for
> the release, otherwise we will get lots of complaints about the
> messages (like Matthews) when people use customised schemes without
> one of the flags being true.

I doubt we'll get lots of complaints - most people don't even read
console messages. Those people should now fix their color schemes. I
could lower the severity to an info message.

Regards,
Nick