[Geany-devel] [geany/geany] Question on - 7b3b65: Add workaround for users with an invisible selection style

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jun 5 05:10:05 UTC 2012

On 5 June 2012 01:30, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 07:59, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> Based on your answer on my ML question is this necessary?
>>
>> Now that we always apply the settings, a selection style of
>> false,false will reset to the Scintilla default "The default is to
>> show the selection by changing the background to light gray and
>> leaving the foreground the same as when it was not selected".  So
>> false, false shouldn't be invisible.
>>
>> Of course it might be invisible on particular backgrounds, but so might
>> c0c0c0.
>>
>> Or have I still misunderstood something?
>

> Try it yourself - here I get an invisible selection if neither override is
> set. Possibly a Scintilla bug - the Scintilla default is not restored on
> calling SCI_SETSELBACK when the first argument is 0/FALSE.

Hmm,  the code certainly uses the text fg/bg if the flag isn't true
Editor.cxx:2379 so I asked Neil for clarification of the docs which
might be read either way, he confirms it is intended this way.

So we need to do something like this.  Since we are in string freeze I
guess all we can do is a fixed value, we can't add any user settings
or change the message.

I guess we need to advertise the change of colour scheme behavior for
the release, otherwise we will get lots of complaints about the
messages (like Matthews) when people use customised schemes without
one of the flags being true.