[Geany-devel] Dropping Waf support?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jul 16 17:36:11 UTC 2012

Hey all,

this topic has been brought up already a couple of times, for example on
[1].

What do you think about dropping Waf support in Geany and in the
Geany-Plugins project?

While I was defending Waf in Geany, I somewhat changed my mind. Not
because I don't like it anymore, but I increasingly see the efforts in
maintaining two (to be exactly three for Geany) build systems is too
much. Since the make/MSYS build system support seems to get better and
better due to Nick's and Dimitar's work on it, I thought about dropping
the Waf support. It seems nobody knows it well enough and probably
except for a few users nobody is using it.
(And obviously I don't do so much anymore and also lost a bit interest
in maintaining forever.)

The other thing is that Waf causes often problems for distro packages,
especially for the Debian folks [2].

So, I'd go the easy way in this case and just remove Waf. Then we only
need to maintain the autotools based build system for non-Windows
systems and the make based for Windows.

For Geany-Plugins, we would need to get something working on Windows but
maybe we could re-use Geany's make based system for Windows here.

What do you guys think?

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3460449&group_id=153444&atid=787794