[Geany-devel] Dropping Waf support?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Jul 16 18:40:11 UTC 2012

Le 16/07/2012 19:36, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> Hey all,
>
> this topic has been brought up already a couple of times, for example on
> [1].
>
> What do you think about dropping Waf support in Geany and in the
> Geany-Plugins project?
>
> While I was defending Waf in Geany, I somewhat changed my mind. Not
> because I don't like it anymore, but I increasingly see the efforts in
> maintaining two (to be exactly three for Geany) build systems is too
> much. Since the make/MSYS build system support seems to get better and
> better due to Nick's and Dimitar's work on it, I thought about dropping
> the Waf support. It seems nobody knows it well enough and probably
> except for a few users nobody is using it.
> (And obviously I don't do so much anymore and also lost a bit interest
> in maintaining forever.)
>
> The other thing is that Waf causes often problems for distro packages,
> especially for the Debian folks [2].
>
> So, I'd go the easy way in this case and just remove Waf. Then we only
> need to maintain the autotools based build system for non-Windows
> systems and the make based for Windows.
>
> For Geany-Plugins, we would need to get something working on Windows but
> maybe we could re-use Geany's make based system for Windows here.
>

> What do you guys think?

I don't mind much, since I don't use Waf nor build on Windows myself.
But yes, I agree that it Autotools and Windows-specific makefiles covers
all platforms there is no need to maintain an N-th build system.

This said, the only time I wanted to build on Windows I used Waf --
though I haven't even tried the specific makefiles.

So I don't mind, but I probably won't maintain Waf either because of a
lack of interest and knowledge.

My 2¢.  Regards,
Colomban