[Geany-devel] GeanyLua: use of deprecated Scintilla features SCI_SETUSEPALETTE

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jul 8 10:29:56 UTC 2012

On 08/07/12 12:20, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 08/07/2012 11:27, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi Enrico,
>
>> since we obviously don't have a maintainer for GeanyLua, this is
>> addressed to the list:
>>
>> GeanyLua wraps the in the latest Scintilla deprecated features
>> SCI_SETUSEPALETTE and SCI_GETUSEPALETTE.
>> As far as I could see, there is no further use of these features, just
>> the wrapper so they could be used in Lua scripts.
>>
>> Unfortunately, since Scintilla won't define the constants used by
>> GeanyLua unless compiled with INCLUDE_DEPRECATED_FEATURES defined, this
>> breaks the build of GeanyLua against Geany from GIT/master (and so the
>> geany-plugins build as a whole and the nightly builds).
>>

>> I'd suggest to simply remove those two wrapped functions from GeanyLua.
>> Though that would mean a hard compatibility break. I guess that it's
>> probably that simply nobody uses these functions.
>>
>> However, to be more safe, we could also deprecate these functions in
>> GeanyLua in some way, so that some sort of migration is possible.
>
> What I planned to do was to keep those as-is for the release of today,
> and remove them (with an update of that API using
> geanylua/util/mkiface.lua) straight after the 1.22 release.
>
> Of course, it don't resolve the break with GeanyLua 1.22/Geany 1.23.  If
> this is an issue (and it can be), I see 2 solutions:

I forgot to mention I think those changes can wait until after the 1.22
plugins release. If the 1.22 release won't work with Geany GIT master
this is probably not that big issue for now.

> BTW, on PR54 I discussed this a little (with myself mostly):
> https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/pull/54

Oops, sorry, I missed that one.