[Geany-devel] GeanyLua: use of deprecated Scintilla features SCI_SETUSEPALETTE

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Jul 8 10:20:49 UTC 2012

Le 08/07/2012 11:27, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hi Enrico,

> since we obviously don't have a maintainer for GeanyLua, this is
> addressed to the list:
>
> GeanyLua wraps the in the latest Scintilla deprecated features
> SCI_SETUSEPALETTE and SCI_GETUSEPALETTE.
> As far as I could see, there is no further use of these features, just
> the wrapper so they could be used in Lua scripts.
>
> Unfortunately, since Scintilla won't define the constants used by
> GeanyLua unless compiled with INCLUDE_DEPRECATED_FEATURES defined, this
> breaks the build of GeanyLua against Geany from GIT/master (and so the
> geany-plugins build as a whole and the nightly builds).
>

> I'd suggest to simply remove those two wrapped functions from GeanyLua.
> Though that would mean a hard compatibility break. I guess that it's
> probably that simply nobody uses these functions.
>
> However, to be more safe, we could also deprecate these functions in
> GeanyLua in some way, so that some sort of migration is possible.

What I planned to do was to keep those as-is for the release of today,
and remove them (with an update of that API using
geanylua/util/mkiface.lua) straight after the 1.22 release.

Of course, it don't resolve the break with GeanyLua 1.22/Geany 1.23.  If
this is an issue (and it can be), I see 2 solutions:

1) remove these 2 calls right now;
2) make GeanyLua 1.22 depend on Geany <= 1.22

What do you think?  I think it can still be done before the release if
needed.

Cheers,
Colomban

BTW, on PR54 I discussed this a little (with myself mostly):
https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/pull/54