[Geany-devel] Patch for Feature Request #3481844

Michael Hall mhall119 at xxxxx
Sun Feb 26 00:29:15 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 06:00 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> 1) The name *must* be translatable.  IIRC you just need to prefix the
> entry's name with an underscore (_) for intltool to take care of
> translating it.

I wasn't sure if that's all that was needed.  If it is, I will be happy
to add it to my git branch.

> 2) Is this a general-purpose change or a patch that only should be in
> Ubuntu?  I mean, I don't know of any other distribution using Unity so
> I'm not 100% sure this should be applied "upstream"...

To my knowledge Unity has been successfully ported to both ArchLinux and
OpenSuse, and is in the process of being ported to Fedora as well.  It
may not be as popular outside of Ubuntu, but it does exist in other
distros, so I'd rather get this upstream where everybody can benefit.

> 2.1) Doesn't GNOME-Shell has something similar that could be made to
> also work?  Or does it already?

I don't know, they are working on a ApplicationMenu, but I think it's
only activated when the program is running, and is something you have to
provide in code.

> 3) Is the action really useful?  Launching the "geany" command while
> Geany is already running already starts a new instance.

The default Unity action, when you have an instance of geany already
running, is to switch to that instance when you click the icon again.
If the --new-instance is a problem, I can remove it.  If it doesn't make
a difference, it might be better to be explicit about the intent of the
shortcut.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com