[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 23 01:09:48 UTC 2011

On 23 September 2011 10:34, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 09:30 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Whilst opening doc/geany.html I found it takes >5s on my machine to
>> load. It's a big document though, still perhaps the HTML tag parser
>> performance could be improved.
>>

> Well under 1 second to load geany.html here, and editing it is quite smooth
> as well.

Ditto, but of course it depends on the machine.

> Myself, I've found the biggest slowdown is when having lots of tags files,
> say more than 10 maybe.  If I have all my Vala tags (the ones on the Wiki)
> loaded, Geany basically becomes unusable.

IIUC the tags files are not re-loaded so the problem here suggests
symbol lookup problems rather than parsing problems.

I didn't spend much time
> troubleshooting, but I suspect turning down the symbol update frequency
> might help.

If it is a parsing problem sure.

>> But now we have tag reparsing, editing geany.html becomes painful. I
>> know we can disable reparsing, but what else could we do to improve the
>> situation? It's not urgent to solve this problem, unless we want to make
>> reparsing off by default.

Of course if we turn it off by default a lot of people won't turn it
on and won't know about the feature.  IMHO its better to have it on by
default and field a few ML/IRC questions about it being slow for big
files.