[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 23 00:34:21 UTC 2011

On 09/22/2011 09:30 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> Hi,
> Whilst opening doc/geany.html I found it takes >5s on my machine to
> load. It's a big document though, still perhaps the HTML tag parser
> performance could be improved.

Well under 1 second to load geany.html here, and editing it is quite
smooth as well.

Myself, I've found the biggest slowdown is when having lots of tags
files, say more than 10 maybe.  If I have all my Vala tags (the ones on
the Wiki) loaded, Geany basically becomes unusable.  I didn't spend much
time troubleshooting, but I suspect turning down the symbol update
frequency might help.

> But now we have tag reparsing, editing geany.html becomes painful. I
> know we can disable reparsing, but what else could we do to improve the
> situation? It's not urgent to solve this problem, unless we want to make
> reparsing off by default.

IMO it would be best not to disabling automatic updating of the symbols,
it's a really good feature.