[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Sep 24 10:33:56 UTC 2011

Le 23/09/2011 03:09, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On 23 September 2011 10:34, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 09/22/2011 09:30 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Whilst opening doc/geany.html I found it takes >5s on my machine to
>>> load. It's a big document though, still perhaps the HTML tag parser
>>> performance could be improved.
>>>

>> Well under 1 second to load geany.html here, and editing it is quite smooth
>> as well.
>
> Ditto, but of course it depends on the machine.

Same here, I don't see any kind of lag with that file.  But yeah,
depends a lot on the machine's power.

>> Myself, I've found the biggest slowdown is when having lots of tags files,
>> say more than 10 maybe.  If I have all my Vala tags (the ones on the Wiki)
>> loaded, Geany basically becomes unusable.
>
> IIUC the tags files are not re-loaded so the problem here suggests
> symbol lookup problems rather than parsing problems.

Actually, IIRC Tagmanager updates an array holding all workspace tags
every time an update is done, so having many tags file or many open
files of a same filetype *may* (?) reduce the performances.
No guarantees on that though, there are too many dark corners in
Tagmanager (:-')

Regards,
Colomban